Hajj is the name given to the annual pilgrimage to Makkah undertaken by Muslims around the world. It is a sacred journey that happens once a year, where more than 2 to 3 million Muslims participate. According to the beliefs of Islam, Hajj is obligatory for all Muslim believers who can afford. This is why many Muslims attach special importance to Hajj, saving money and planning this trip throughout their lives.
When does Hajj take place according to the Islamic Calendar?
The pilgrimage of the Hajj takes place from the 8th to the 12th of Zul-Hijjah, the last month of the Hijiri calendar.
What is the importance of Hijiri or the Islamic Calendar?
The Hijiri or Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar based on the moon sighting. The advent of each month depends on the physical sighting of the new moon. The corresponding Gregorian dates are estimates based on astronomical calculations, approved by the Fiqh Council of North America. The Gregorian dates of the Hajj change from year to year. Islamic day begins at sunset.
What are the expected dates for Hajj 2018?
As per the estimates of the Fiqh Council in North America, Hajj is expected to fall between August 19th, 2018 to August 23rd, 2018 Inshaa'ALLAH.
Significant Days of Hajj 2018 and their estimated dates:
- Yaumut Tarwiyah- 8th Zul- Hijah
August 19th 2018
- Yaumul Wuquf- 9th Zul- Hijah
August 20th 2018
- Yaumun Nahr- 10th Zul Hijah
August 21st 2018
- Ayyamut Tashriq- 11th Zul- Hijah
August 22nd 2018
- Ayyamut Tashriq- 12th Zul- Hijah
August 23rd 2018
Health Advisory for Pilgrims travelling for Hajj:
- The following travelers are requested to delay their travel due to the constant threat of the MERS virus in Saudi Arabia
- Pregnant Women
- Diabetic Individuals
- Those with chronic health issues such as cancer or respiratory diseases
- Those with congenital disorders
- All immunizations should be up to date in travelers going to perform Hajj. This includes: Hepatitis A and B vaccinations as well as Polio vaccinations
- Carry sanitizers, cold, cough, diarrhea medication and inhalers for asthmatic patients for emergency situations
- Due to extremes of temperatures being reached in a hot and dry country like Saudi Arabia, all Pilgrims are requested to move to cool area and seek medical assistance when faced with dizziness or dehydration
Visa Advisory for Pilgrims travelling for Hajj:
- All travelers going for Hajj must review the dates for the expiry of their visas and passports to avoid dealing with unfortunate circumstances
- Pilgrims should NOT overstay their Hajj visa or will face penalties resulting in thousands of dollars in compensation
- Travelers must be aware that the Hijiri calendar is used in Saudi Arabia for all purposes
- In case of emergency or any updates regarding Visa policy, travel agents should be contacted as soon as possible
Hajj is a beautiful journey to embark on for all Muslims around the world. Planning ahead for your Hajj Pilgrimage is essential to avoid any unforeseen circumstances. We at Dawn Travels strive to give our customers the service they deserve at great economical prices. So make your Hajj experience a memorable one by placing your bookings today.